Conservation Awareness Creation with Hornbill Sculpture Project at Ban Ko Phaluai Village Number 6, Angthong Sub-District, Ko Samui District, Surat Thani
Visual identity represents the identity of Ko Phaluai to boost the tourism. Semiotics is a way that enhances prominence and differences as well as to clarify the identity of Ko Phaluai which can be reflected through sculpture symbols. This adds a unique concrete identity in the way of visual recognition representing the island (or Ko) itself which is the key to the coexistence and mutual respect between human and nature through the symbol of hornbills living in the forest of Ko Phaluai.
- To develop and strengthen tourism potential in a visual landmark. Building hornbill Sculptures can be a symbol of Ko Phaluai representing tourism in this tourist attraction.
- To develop the potential for landmark visual recognition. Hornbill sculptures are likely the symbol of Ko Phaluai.
- To support and promote the conservation of natural resources for the people in the island and tourists. Generally, villagers do realize the importance of hornbill which is the selling point and a way of making money in Ko Phaluai.
- To explore the area and design with the community in order to assess workpieces and specifymaterials and the installation site which is located in Aow Song of Ko Phaluai. Then, build a sculpture model.
- Mold the clay to expand the sculpture model.
- Cast a hornbill sculpture mold.
- Cast a fiberglass hornbill sculpture mold.
- Scrub and ground the hornbill sculpture mold by students from Arts Department.
- Build a steel frame.
- Transport equipment including the sculpture base and the sculpture body from Suratthani Rajabhat University to Ban Ko Phaluai, village number 6, Angthong Sub-District, Ko Samui District, Surat Thani.
- Elevate the sculpture support base to solve the problem of the visual nature of looking because there is a large rock blocking in the front by building a raised cement floor with 40 centimeters tall, 400 centimeters long, and 250 centimeters wide.
- When the base was raised, start building a sculpture base by applying the cement on the steel frame.
- When the sculpture base was set up, set up the sculpture and plate the sculpture with gold. Paint the roof overlay on the base and plaster the raised base.
- Get the final product.