Local Products Observation for Tourism Promotion Project Academic Service Center, Faculty of Management Sciences, Suratthani Rajabhat University
As the missions of the university that consistent with the policy of Surat Thani especially for tourism which can create a huge amount of revenue, one of the important aspects which is still missing in the perspective of tourists is that, in many tourist attractions, there is a lack of goods or products that represent the identity of the tourist attraction.
Therefore, as the Academic Service Center, Faculty of Management Sciences, Suratthani Rajabhat University has been aware of the issue, the Academic Service Center therefore arranged the project named “Local Products Observation for Tourism Promotion Project”. The project is aimed to provide tourism attractions in various areas with tourism products under their own identity in the community as well as to increase the value of products and income for the community sustainably.
Ko Raet, Surat Thani
Pla Vong (or Jong Mong or Small Stingray)
- This menu is very common in the area of Ko Raet. Villagers tend to turn it into processed seafood products, they slice it in a thin-round shape and dry it on the sun. Then, pack into a plastic bag and sell it 50 baht a bag.
Dried Fish Strips
- This is a processed seafood product made of Clupeidae or Shortnose Gizzard Shad) Villagers turn the fish into strips and dry them in the sun. Then, pack into a plastic bag and sell it 50/100 baht a bag.
- This processed seafood product is very common. Villagers clean squids with water thoroughly and dry in the sun. Then, pack into a plastic back. This menu is commonly sold either in the form of wholesaler and retailer in the area.
- Dried shrimp in Donsak is normally big in size and does not taste is too salty. This product is produced by almost every household and sold at least 100 baht a bag.
Ban Nang Gum, Surat Thani
White Bait Fish
- This product is produced by the “Community Women Group”, which the leaders are “Auntie Lumyai and Ms. Ning”. Most products are mainly raw ingredients from the sea. White bait fish is the outstanding of the community because it is very common. Villagers tend to dry it before selling it.
- This product is produced and sold by the “Community Women Group”, which the leaders are “Auntie Lumyai and Ms. Ning”. It is common in the community and there is consignment from other communities.
Ko Phaluai, Surat Thani
- Mullet is commonly seen in Ko Phaluai and it is bigger than those from other areas due to the abundance of marine resources. Mullet is normally turned into fermented mullet and it is sold according to its size.
- Since Ko Phaluai has recently become famous among foreign tourists. Villagers therefore are grouped together to turn various marine products into souvenirs for sale to tourists.
Products Selected to be Developed into Tourism Products
- Pla Vong (or Small Stingray) of Ban Ko Raet
- Dried Shrimp of Ban Ko Raet
- White Bait Fish of Nang Gum Community
- Fermented Mullet of Ko Phaluai